Research has shown that the vast majority of digital advertising is not being viewed, with many advertisers not applying the effectiveness techniques used in press.
Since January 2016, research firm Lumen has used laptop-mounted eye-tracking cameras on 300 consumers’ laptops to collect visual data on what they notice when they are online. They recorded 30,000 minutes of data, with evidence relating to around 15,000 digital ads.
It found that only 35% of digital display ads received any views at all. And, of those, only 9% of ads received more than a second’s worth of attention.
As a channel, it says print still provides much more provable effectiveness than digital advertising.
It further showed…
- Full page press ad had dwell time of 2.8 seconds being read by 88% of readers.
- Billboard on a website dwell time 1.5 seconds read by 38% users.
- 40% of press ads had dwell time of 1 second
- 9% of online ads had dwell time of 1 second.
- 25% of print adverts are viewed for 2 seconds +
- 4% of digital ads are viewed for 2 seconds +
This all suggests that that £7.2 bn worth of digital adverts will not be seen in the UK .
The implication is to create simple online adverts taking the elements of press adverts with smaller formats. Digital adverts tend to be viewed for about a 10th of the time that they are viewable…therefore an advert more than 10 secs long can be wasted.
If you need help ensuring your marketing budget is invested into the right media platforms so you STAND OUT and get results contact our award winning team for impartial media planning and buying expertise.