It’s Rajar Q3 2022!!
Good news for digital Radio
41 million adults aged 15+ are now tuning in to radio via a digitally enabled platform (DAB, DTV, Online, App, Smart Speaker) each week. 66% of the population claim to own or have access to a DAB radio. 74% of the population tune in to digital radio every week. 66% of weekly listening hours are consumed digitally. Listening via a DAB has 39% share of listening, Online has a 24% share and DTV is 4%.
A General overview
- 88.8% of the adult UK population that’s 49.7 million adults tuned in to radio in Q3
- Radio weekly hours are up at 1.02 billion from 998 million in Q2
- Live radio average listening hours 20.6 hours per week
- Commercial radio reached 5.2m listeners more than BBC radio
- 41 million adults are reached via a digitally enabled platform weekly
National Commercial Stations
- Global has 24.4% share with 246m hours with 25.4m listeners a week.
- Heart is the UK’s biggest commercial radio brand with over 10m listeners. It’s the most listened to commercial station in London with 1.8m weekly reach.
- Capital has the second largest reach after Heart with a weekly reach of 7.4 m, down 3.5% year on year across the UK,
- Smooth Radio remains the UK’s third largest commercial radio station, with 5.6 million weekly listeners, up 123,000 listeners .
- Radio X has increased its listeners by 70,000 now nearly 2m weekly listeners.
- Virgin Radio has lost 7% of its listeners with Chris Evans Breakfast listeners also decreasing from 869,000 listeners to 776,000
- KISS has grown to 2.7m listeners, up 7.2% yearly as has Magic to 2.8m
Local Commercial Stations
- Heart South Wales’s reach is 450,000 up from Q2’s 396,000 with an average of 8 hrs per listener.
- Radio Pembrokeshire’s weekly Reach has dropped from 23,000 to 20,000, Radio Carmarthenshire’s weekly reach is 143,000, both reaching 19% of the population in their areas.
- Capital South Wales has a reach of 196,000 with average listening hours of 3.9 hours, an increase of 8,000 listeners.
- Capital North Wales and Heart North Wales have increased their listeners by 7,000 and 25,000 respectively.
- Nation Radio’s reach has increased by 18,000 to 150,000 a reach of 8%
- Easy Radio Wales (was Swansea Bay radio) has lost listeners and has a reach of 11,000 down from Q2’s reported 14,000