14 reasons why TV advertising IS so good
Considering adding TV to your marketing mix? We’ve put together 14 fantastic reasons, as proven by Thinkbox’s ‘A Year in TV 2015’ study, to help you make your decision:
1. TV ads are the ones that 75% of people say make them laugh, smile and remember
2. On average, every £1 invested in TV advertising returned £1.79 in profit to the advertiser
3. 16–24s are 84% more likely to talk about ads than the average adult
4. TV accounts for 1/3 of campaign-driven sales
5. TV is 40% more efficient at driving long-term response per pound than the next best forms of communication
6. Approximately 90% of total response was generated after a viewer had seen an ad for the first or second time
7. Every week TV reaches 86% of 16-24s
8. The average viewer watched 45 TV ads a day– 6 ads more a day than ten years ago
9. Twitter reaches 19% of the UK population, Facebook reaches 43%. TV’s reach is 94% of the population
10. TV accounts for 58% of all 16-24’s video consumption
11. 87% of TV is watched live
12. In total, the average person in the UK watched 4 hours, 35 minutes a day of video in all its different forms in 2015. This has increased by 15 minutes a day since 2014
13. 54% of households pay for a full TV service in the UK
14. Thinkbox shareholders including Channel 4, ITV, Sky Media, Turner and UKTV, represent over 99% of commercial TV advertising revenue
Do you want to benefit from the reach and exposure that advertising on TV enables? Get in touch with us on 02921 320 200 or email [email protected] for award winning media planning and buying advice.
The best of our 2015
We had the best time in 2015. It certainly was a fantastic year for us at The Media Angel.
The last 12 months were filled with so many highs it has been difficult to pick our favourites, however we have managed to select some of our best moments:
- At the very top of the list has to be our win at CIM Canmol Marketing Excellence Awards 2015. As the only media planning and buying agency to win across Wales at this event, we were extremely proud of our reward for helping client Ty Hafan achieve returns of over 300%. Our efforts in helping Ty Hafan obtain these returns on a limited budget were described as “simply brilliant” by the judging panel.
- We were delighted to help Cardiff Airport successfully launch Flybe, their newest airline to the south Wales market. We implemented a large campaign for Flybe securing sponsorship of the weather on all major South Wales radio stations. We also ensured Flybe’s message could be seen at many high footfall areas in South Wales including Swansea, Cardiff, Bridgend, Newport and Pontypridd train stations and St David’s 2 Cardiff among many others! Flybe is Europe’s largest regional airline, promoting 14-routes from Cardiff, including three brand new routes to Cork, Munich and Milan. With our assistance, passenger growth at Cardiff Airport has increased by 13% compared with 2014.
- Similarly, our campaign for Vueling which involved sponsorship of ITV Wales Cymru weather and Vueling Cardiff Bay Beach contributed to the success of the airline at Cardiff Airport. Such success has resulted in confirmed extra capacity for summer 2016. Following the best summer in four years for the Spanish airline at Cardiff Airport, Vueling has already announced extra flights on all four routes to Barcelona, Malaga, Alicante and Palma Majorca in 2016 offering, 31% increase in seat capacity between April and October for the summer ahead.
- We were also very happy to see our client Swansea University win a CIM Canmol award for a 2nd time with their Undergraduate recruitment campaign, Making Waves. We were delighted to be a part of organising this fully-integrated marketing campaign; seeing their new TV advert amongst programmes such as Made in Chelsea and The Only Way is Essex were particular highlights for the team. We were also lucky enough to see the advert first-hand at London’s O2 Arena before One Direction came to the stage.
- We’ve loved helping Swansea University promote their beautiful new state of the art, multi million pound Bay campus this year with some bespoke targeted campaigns to ensure the campus stands out.
- This year was a particularly successful one for us on the tender front! We managed to secure contacts on a number of competitive tender pitches against several local agencies, winning the opportunity to work with Swansea Council and the Swansea City Tourism team on their ‘Swansea Bay Moments’ campaign (an exciting campaign extending into some of the UK’s biggest cities). We also won the opportunity to work with the South Wales Fire & Rescue Service on their summer drowning prevention campaign. We were delighted to welcome some brand new clients to our portfolio including Festival Park and ACT Training. We’ve made some lovely friendships with many fantastic organisations.
- We were involved in some inspiring human rights campaigns including The Children’s Commissioner for Wales ‘Beth Nesa’ project. We were asked to help the Commissioner launch the biggest survey on Children’s Rights in Wales to adults across the country after a successful campaign with them in 2014. The campaign created a fantastic response with large numbers, higher than expected, participating in such an important cause.
- We have also been helping to promote some very important health messages to the people of North Wales. Gwynedd Council approached us for some assistance in encouraging people; particularly youths aged 16 – 24, to quit smoking. To tackle this brief we made sure we made use of some highly targeted digital platforms around No Smoking day, ensuring the message appeared to the relevant audience at an especially relevant time.
- We’ve enjoyed helping to raise awareness of some great new skills organisations such as Welsh for Adults and ACT Training. Look out for their campaigns on learning Welsh and apprenticeships scheme across Cardiff, Bridgend and the Valley this January. Similarly, we continued to promote Coleg Y Cymoedd’s advice days throughout the year after carrying out student research to ensure the advertising was appearing in exactly the right places.
- Helping to launch GoAir, Wales’s largest trampoline super park has definitely been another very exciting project! We are so proud to say we were heavily involved in this launch implementing an exciting radio promotion alongside a successful VoD, digital and print campaign. Thanks to the success of this launch several more super park sites have been announced to open this year across the UK which we are busy working on.
- Every year we thoroughly enjoy working with client Spacefitting furniture, and 2015 was definitely no exception! As well as continuing to ensure Spacefitting receive coverage in targeted magazines around interior features, we assisted in the promotion of their bespoke event, where they were keen to flaunt their stunning new showroom displays, expertly designed by husband and wife team Steve and Claire Bloom.
- The National Trust also returned to us this year for assistance in promoting their brand and beautiful portfolio of properties across Wales during the busy Christmas period.
- We had great fun last year sponsoring the drinks receptions at some of the industry’s highest profile events including the CIM Canmol Awards and the Cardiff Life Awards.
- There were a number of new advertising opportunities arriving in Cardiff in 2015, and we chose to lead by example and advertise with some of these brand new formats. We were one of the first brands in Wales to run our own advertising campaign on the new quality HD digital screen on Newport Road; one of the very first brands to take advantage of this high impact new format.
- We also secured ourselves some targeted adverts in some high profile, relevant publications across Wales These publications included the Western Mail top 300 businesses in Wales supplement and the Business Insider’s Top 100 Welsh brands.
- Ending on a particular high at the end of the year was the news that our contribution helped Cardiff Airport enjoy a brilliant 12 months. They recorded October as their fastest month for growth in 2015 with an increase of 62% compared to the same month last year. There was also 21% passenger growth in September, 32% in November and 52% in December.
- Finally, we ended the year doing something incredibly rewarding for us. Our team took part in Ty Hafan’s Christmas Pantomime ‘Peter Pan’. Making the children at Ty Hafan giggle and smile was the perfect end to an amazing year.
We are really keen to say a HUGE thank you to each and every one of our clients for your continued encouragement and support throughout the year! We’re looking forward to continuing this work with you in 2016 and fulfilling your campaign objectives to make this year even better than the last!
So what’s next for 2016?
We expect 2016 to be just as exciting. We have just this week been announced as finalists in both the Creative and Professional Services categories at the Cardiff Regional Awards 2016, up alongside some prestigious Welsh brands. Thank you so much to everyone who voted to get us up there!
We also have lots of different projects on the horizon and will be getting involved at numerous different awards events throughout the year; Alison is particularly looking forward to being a part of the judging panel at the Cardiff Life Awards this March. We are also looking to expand our team with some new recruits; enhancing our offering existing and new clients with some additional skills! We love to select the best solutions for all kinds of marketing briefs, so make sure you get in touch with us. We’ll help you over deliver on your objectives and together achieve fantastic results.
Reactive Marketing Works
Aldi’s Christmas parody of the John Lewis ‘Man on the moon’ campaign could be considered a huge success for the discount supermarket chain.
Over the 12 week Christmas period until January 3rd, Aldi recorded an increase in sales of 13.3% compared with chains Sainsbury’s and Waitrose, who saw small increases of only 0.8% and 1.5% respectively.
Brands such as Tesco even saw sales fall by 2.7% following an also fairly dramatic descend in storytelling ranking early last Winter. Their new campaign attempted to breathe life into the ‘Every little helps’ strapline, but instead produced ambiguity about its meaning.
Alongside fabulously competitive prices, Aldi executed a humorous and reactive TV campaign that successfully captured the minds of British consumers over Christmas. Involving themselves in the conversation and buzz around ‘Man on the moon’ Aldi managed to reap the rewards for their bravery and innovation.
Following Aldi’s lead, thinking in real-time to cut through, engage and react with consumer mood is a trend predicted to increase in 2016. Across all traditional and digital media platforms brands are expected to invest spend in campaigns triggered by different events. Much like Aldi, brands are said to be planning a focus on a range of offline triggers including popular TV shows (52%) sports events (48%) financial events (40%) TV advertising (38%) and even changes in the weather (33%).
Growth in sales as demonstrated by Aldi proves that clever content distributed on the right platforms has the ability to capture and engage millions of additional consumers. Get in touch with The Media Angel to discuss the best channels for your marketing campaign to help you over deliver on your campaign objectives.
Christmas Ads: Which one is your favourite?
Winter is that one time of the year that Christmas ads are anticipated as much or even more than the programme and film line-up. Last year brands, such as Sainsbury’s and John Lewis rivalled in a cinematic emotional battle for the best Christmas ad. This year some brands take a very different turn to the latter, with less ‘sadvertising’, storytelling and more positivity! See some of the top ads making the round up below…
John Lewis Christmas Advert 2015 – #ManOnTheMoon:
Sainsbury’s Christmas Advert 2015 – Mog’s Christmas Calamity:
ASDA Christmas Advert 2015:
Aldi Christmas Advert 2015 – #AldiFavouriteThings
Debenhams Christmas Advert 2015: #foundit:
M&S: Christmas Advert 2015 – #TheArtOfChristmas
House of Fraser Christmas Advert 2015 – #YourRules (ft Grace & G-Eazy)
Boots Christmas TV advert 2015: #DiscoverMore
Waitrose Christmas Advert 2015: What Makes Your Christmas?
Very.co.uk Christmas Advert 2015 – The Journey
South Wales Fire & Rescue Service appoint The Media Angel for Summer Campaign
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service (SWFRS) and the RNLI have chosen our team at The Media Angel to help them launch their ‘Get a taxi, not our boat’ campaign starting this week!
The aim of this campaign is to raise awareness about the high number of accidental drowning incidents that occur throughout South Wales; particularly after victims have consumed heavy amounts of alcohol. The campaign will aim to encourage people to make their way home more safely after a night out and avoid risky areas where both fatal and non-fatal drowning incidents can occur.
The South Wales Fire and Rescue Service and the RNLI had been searching for an agency to help bring the important message about drowning prevention and water safety to the people of South Wales in a fun and engaging way while also proving to be best value after biding through the Fire and Rescue Service Procurement process.
Managing Director of The Media Angel, Alison Debono has expressed her delight at the news;
“We were thrilled to hear the news that the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service and the RNLI had decided upon us as their chosen marketing agency! I am immensely proud of my team for winning this fantastic and hugely important pitch for the Fire and Rescue Service in conjunction with the RNLI.”
“We couldn’t be happier about helping these two amazing services drive home their vital message about avoiding risky behaviour around water and respecting the dangers. We are excited about getting this campaign underway, and are really delighted to be working with such a fantastic team of people”.
The Media and Communications team at SWFRS and the RNLI also expressed their enthusiasm about working with us, stating “We are excited about the prospect of working with the team at The Media Angel on our upcoming water awareness campaign. The team gave an excellent pitch proposal that was great value too. When we met them they were great; really enthusiastic and flexible to work with. We feel that this partnership will result in a superb campaign. Exciting times lie ahead!”
This fully integrated campaign begins Monday 13th July incorporating a mix of transport, outdoor, radio and online advertising to help get the message in front of youngsters during the summer. As part of the campaign the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service will also be offering individuals the chance to win a Kindle Fire HDX!
From the 13th July residents of Cardiff and the surrounding areas will be able to spot South Wales Fire and Rescue branded taxis across the city; make sure you take a picture of the taxi and tweet #getataxi to enter the competition!
Radio ad spend grew by 7.8% in 2014…
Research conducted by RadioWorks has delivered some exciting predictions for radio advertising in 2015. Where radio saw a healthy 7.8% growth in ad-spend last year, a rise of 5.7% is predicted for 2015.
These strong increases in spend are explained by digital audio service’s rising popularity among audiences, with reach figures last year escalating twofold in the space of just 18 months! 12 million unique listeners were reached by audio services in the spring of 2014, and this is expected to rise to 20 million at the start of 2015.
According to reports conducted RAB, brands using radio get their money back nearly eight times over on average!
Such data proves that advertisers are recognising the potential of radio’s significant scale and influence; allocating larger chunks of their marketing budgets to the medium and enjoying maximised returns. With one of the lowest levels of advertising avoidance, radio allows marketers to reach out to millions of new customers as well as current, existing consumers with essential messages at key activity moments across the day. Radio ads are so frequent and high in reach that a brand can create a disproportionately large share of mind for itself.
The time is now to realise the potential in radio advertising investments; January is the perfect time to connect with open-minded, fresh thinking listeners.
Contact The Media Angel today and get started on your plans to make the New Year your most successful yet.
Marketers, have yourself a very merry stress-free Christmas & New Year!
A joyous time for families, the utmost important month in the retailer’s calendar, that mad panic for last minute shopping, all of which is just under 55 days time! Are you ready marketers?
The festive period can often be a stressful time for consumers, and even a more manic time for those of you are marketers. Your marketing team have the pleasurable task of looking ahead at your marketing budgets for 2015. There may still be time to secure a digital campaign before the tree goes up, but the clock is ticking!
Fear not, The Media Angel can help save you time and money and ease you into the New Year with a helping hand, starting with these top tips:
- Get the most out of winter bargains– TV airtime in December and January is an ideal time to advertise and be seen. Just like your furniture and clothing sales, advertising costs are reduced. And TV advertising needn’t be expensive with a target audience in mind.
- Be more dog digital – Treat this as your New Year’s resolution. Online advertising has doubled in the last year or so. New and recent platforms, such as ITV Player and social media can offer great packages, little wastage and provide measurable results to better your future campaigns, in a visually stimulating way, this will help your interaction with your customers. Also, make sure you adapt for mobile and tablet devices. Invest in a fast and beautiful website, after all it’s your digital home, your shop window reinvented in the palm of your hands. Let us help you take good care of it.
- Plan while you can– Treat your campaign like your upcoming summer holiday. Preparation is key! Media planning ensures your message is in the right place, at the right time. Whether TV, radio, outdoor or print, the best ad space can book up far in advance. Let us help you get ahead of the game and get in touch for media planning expertise and advice on making the best use of your media budget.
- Consistency– Show consistency by developing your brand for all media platforms, whether seeing or hearing your message, so people know who you are and what you’re offering.
- Be different – If you really want to stand out and get noticed, and create impact then try something different. Some of the best campaigns this year have attracted attention for their individual and simplistic, yet clever concepts- Billboards made of cake, live TV advertisements, and surprisingly good taste in soundtrack, e.g. M&S advert)
Get in touch with The Media Angel to see how we can help you wrap up marketing campaign with a perfect mix for 2015 (without the stress).