New clients this Spring
It has been an exciting and busy few weeks here at The Media Angel and we are absolutely thrilled to announce that we now have several new clients on board – Air Malta, Plaid Cymru and The British Science Association.
Air Malta was keen to promote their weekly direct flights from Cardiff to Malta including the free 20kg of hold baggage. With our existing experience working with Cardiff Airport and the airline sector combined, we are confident that our recommended media mix will deliver great results.
Plaid Cymru wanted to raise awareness of their Election Campaign and decided to run with some excellent out of home advertising in a prime Cardiff City Centre location. Here we maximised the flexibility of the out of home digital format by running several different messages across the duration of the campaign to raise awareness on specific days.
The British Science Association would like to tell everyone about the British Science Festival 2016. Hosted by Swansea University, the festival will take place between 6th and 11th September and will feature a diverse programme of talks, debates, performances and activities. We are helping them with a mix of Radio, experiential and out of home advertising.
We love to select the best solutions for all kinds of marketing briefs, so make sure you get in touch with us. We’ll help you over deliver on your objectives and together achieve fantastic results.
Advancements with the innovative Sky AdSmart
Blog Updated: May 11th 2020
Last month, we went along to Cardiff Bay for a conference on the new innovative features provided by Sky AdSmart.
We were excited to learn about the further enhanced opportunities and possibilities for our clients created by these new features.
How can you target an audience?
Sky Adsmart now has over 900 individual target segments you can choose from. Campaigns featuring Sky Adsmart can target households by:
- Location; postcode, local government, BARB area.
- Socio-demographics; ABC1, Experian Mosaics
- Financial characteristics
- Purchase behaviour
- Technology usage
With the new features of Sky AdSmart the possibilities are endless, particularly with their MasterCard Advertising Insights, Dunnhumby partnering and TECI Targeting. So what will these new features mean for our clients and fellow advertisers?
MasterCard and Tesco insights
MasterCard Advertising Insights that are now available when purchasing Sky AdSmart enables you to deliver addressable TV based on location & aggregate purchase data. This is done via insight drawn from actual transactions. The feature also analyses timely relevant data based on current spending patterns. Targeting segments are informed by activity from more than 24 million payment cards and around 1.5B UK transactions.
The MasterCard Attributes are broken down into six primary segments which all can be broken down further into sub-segments, from flights and travel to sports and entertainment.
Sky’s partnering with Dunnhumby enables Sky AdSmart campaigns to run on Tesco ClubCard segments also –
- 18m Tesco ClubCard Households
- 7m Sky AdSmart Households
- 5m Matched Dataset
- Reach and Evaluate Households based on their previous and future purchase behaviour
Finally, Sky has also developed the future of segmenting Sky households into groups based on their adoption of new technology. This is called TECI Targeting (Technology Engagement, Customer Index)
- TECI is based on actual purchase and usage behaviour, which is only available to Sky UK.
- Allows advertisers to target groups most likely to adopt a new technology, product, or service.
Sky AdSmart and the new features are a fantastic platform to heighten the targeting of a specific audience with minimal wastage.
Want to know more, or ready to start planning your Sky Adsmart campaign? Get in touch today on [email protected]
11 tips for effective social media use
As award-winning marketing consultants, we were asked by Wales Online to put together 11 short tips on the effective use of social media for a business.
A strong social media presence is easy to achieve and can cost nothing other than careful planning and execution. Social media is one of the best ways to engage with your target audience and affordably increase your brand visibility. One of the main benefits of using social media for any business is its extremely cost effective nature.
Click here and follow these 11 tips. With these, you will be well on your way to seeing that follower count rise.
The best of our 2015
We had the best time in 2015. It certainly was a fantastic year for us at The Media Angel.
The last 12 months were filled with so many highs it has been difficult to pick our favourites, however we have managed to select some of our best moments:
- At the very top of the list has to be our win at CIM Canmol Marketing Excellence Awards 2015. As the only media planning and buying agency to win across Wales at this event, we were extremely proud of our reward for helping client Ty Hafan achieve returns of over 300%. Our efforts in helping Ty Hafan obtain these returns on a limited budget were described as “simply brilliant” by the judging panel.
- We were delighted to help Cardiff Airport successfully launch Flybe, their newest airline to the south Wales market. We implemented a large campaign for Flybe securing sponsorship of the weather on all major South Wales radio stations. We also ensured Flybe’s message could be seen at many high footfall areas in South Wales including Swansea, Cardiff, Bridgend, Newport and Pontypridd train stations and St David’s 2 Cardiff among many others! Flybe is Europe’s largest regional airline, promoting 14-routes from Cardiff, including three brand new routes to Cork, Munich and Milan. With our assistance, passenger growth at Cardiff Airport has increased by 13% compared with 2014.
- Similarly, our campaign for Vueling which involved sponsorship of ITV Wales Cymru weather and Vueling Cardiff Bay Beach contributed to the success of the airline at Cardiff Airport. Such success has resulted in confirmed extra capacity for summer 2016. Following the best summer in four years for the Spanish airline at Cardiff Airport, Vueling has already announced extra flights on all four routes to Barcelona, Malaga, Alicante and Palma Majorca in 2016 offering, 31% increase in seat capacity between April and October for the summer ahead.
- We were also very happy to see our client Swansea University win a CIM Canmol award for a 2nd time with their Undergraduate recruitment campaign, Making Waves. We were delighted to be a part of organising this fully-integrated marketing campaign; seeing their new TV advert amongst programmes such as Made in Chelsea and The Only Way is Essex were particular highlights for the team. We were also lucky enough to see the advert first-hand at London’s O2 Arena before One Direction came to the stage.
- We’ve loved helping Swansea University promote their beautiful new state of the art, multi million pound Bay campus this year with some bespoke targeted campaigns to ensure the campus stands out.
- This year was a particularly successful one for us on the tender front! We managed to secure contacts on a number of competitive tender pitches against several local agencies, winning the opportunity to work with Swansea Council and the Swansea City Tourism team on their ‘Swansea Bay Moments’ campaign (an exciting campaign extending into some of the UK’s biggest cities). We also won the opportunity to work with the South Wales Fire & Rescue Service on their summer drowning prevention campaign. We were delighted to welcome some brand new clients to our portfolio including Festival Park and ACT Training. We’ve made some lovely friendships with many fantastic organisations.
- We were involved in some inspiring human rights campaigns including The Children’s Commissioner for Wales ‘Beth Nesa’ project. We were asked to help the Commissioner launch the biggest survey on Children’s Rights in Wales to adults across the country after a successful campaign with them in 2014. The campaign created a fantastic response with large numbers, higher than expected, participating in such an important cause.
- We have also been helping to promote some very important health messages to the people of North Wales. Gwynedd Council approached us for some assistance in encouraging people; particularly youths aged 16 – 24, to quit smoking. To tackle this brief we made sure we made use of some highly targeted digital platforms around No Smoking day, ensuring the message appeared to the relevant audience at an especially relevant time.
- We’ve enjoyed helping to raise awareness of some great new skills organisations such as Welsh for Adults and ACT Training. Look out for their campaigns on learning Welsh and apprenticeships scheme across Cardiff, Bridgend and the Valley this January. Similarly, we continued to promote Coleg Y Cymoedd’s advice days throughout the year after carrying out student research to ensure the advertising was appearing in exactly the right places.
- Helping to launch GoAir, Wales’s largest trampoline super park has definitely been another very exciting project! We are so proud to say we were heavily involved in this launch implementing an exciting radio promotion alongside a successful VoD, digital and print campaign. Thanks to the success of this launch several more super park sites have been announced to open this year across the UK which we are busy working on.
- Every year we thoroughly enjoy working with client Spacefitting furniture, and 2015 was definitely no exception! As well as continuing to ensure Spacefitting receive coverage in targeted magazines around interior features, we assisted in the promotion of their bespoke event, where they were keen to flaunt their stunning new showroom displays, expertly designed by husband and wife team Steve and Claire Bloom.
- The National Trust also returned to us this year for assistance in promoting their brand and beautiful portfolio of properties across Wales during the busy Christmas period.
- We had great fun last year sponsoring the drinks receptions at some of the industry’s highest profile events including the CIM Canmol Awards and the Cardiff Life Awards.
- There were a number of new advertising opportunities arriving in Cardiff in 2015, and we chose to lead by example and advertise with some of these brand new formats. We were one of the first brands in Wales to run our own advertising campaign on the new quality HD digital screen on Newport Road; one of the very first brands to take advantage of this high impact new format.
- We also secured ourselves some targeted adverts in some high profile, relevant publications across Wales These publications included the Western Mail top 300 businesses in Wales supplement and the Business Insider’s Top 100 Welsh brands.
- Ending on a particular high at the end of the year was the news that our contribution helped Cardiff Airport enjoy a brilliant 12 months. They recorded October as their fastest month for growth in 2015 with an increase of 62% compared to the same month last year. There was also 21% passenger growth in September, 32% in November and 52% in December.
- Finally, we ended the year doing something incredibly rewarding for us. Our team took part in Ty Hafan’s Christmas Pantomime ‘Peter Pan’. Making the children at Ty Hafan giggle and smile was the perfect end to an amazing year.
We are really keen to say a HUGE thank you to each and every one of our clients for your continued encouragement and support throughout the year! We’re looking forward to continuing this work with you in 2016 and fulfilling your campaign objectives to make this year even better than the last!
So what’s next for 2016?
We expect 2016 to be just as exciting. We have just this week been announced as finalists in both the Creative and Professional Services categories at the Cardiff Regional Awards 2016, up alongside some prestigious Welsh brands. Thank you so much to everyone who voted to get us up there!
We also have lots of different projects on the horizon and will be getting involved at numerous different awards events throughout the year; Alison is particularly looking forward to being a part of the judging panel at the Cardiff Life Awards this March. We are also looking to expand our team with some new recruits; enhancing our offering existing and new clients with some additional skills! We love to select the best solutions for all kinds of marketing briefs, so make sure you get in touch with us. We’ll help you over deliver on your objectives and together achieve fantastic results.
The Media Angel win a prestigious Marketing Award!
This year’s CIM Canmol: Wales Marketing Awards was a particularly exciting one for us at The Media Angel. Not only were we delighted when we received the news in October that our work with amazing client Ty Hafan had been nominated for an excellence award in the Life Sciences category, we are also incredibly proud and absolutely delighted to announce that we were successful in winning this award! Ours was the only media planning and buying agency successful in winning at this year’s ceremony.
Our work with Ty Hafan on the Legacy campaign was described as “simply brilliant” by the judging panel, who were extremely impressed by the results generated. The campaign created returns of over 300% for the charity, achieving over £360,000 in pledges on a small budget of just £12,000.
Our team worked so hard to implement a hugely successful yet cost effective campaign using a mix of new and traditional media platforms including video on demand for the first time, print and direct mail. Campaigns were put forward based on their creation and delivery of innovative and effective marketing campaigns delivering outstanding results.
“We couldn’t be more thrilled and excited to have won a Canmol 2015 award for our work with our wonderful client Ty Hafan. I am so proud of this project, helping such a great organisation and important cause receive returns of over 300%. We are delighted to have been rewarded recognition for our work; winning an excellence in marketing award across Wales is absolutely amazing. It’s wonderful to win an award for doing what we love” (Alison Debono, Managing Director at The Media Angel)
As well as being award winners at this year’s event, we were also sponsors of the drinks reception where we welcomed guests at the Ricoh Suite, Cardiff City Stadium with a complementary drink adorned with some of our branded ‘The Media Angel’ glass charms.
We are so proud to have been up alongside some of Wales’ leading brands and would love to extend our congratulations to all the nominees and winners including client Swansea University, DS Smith, JamJar PR and Arriva Trains Wales among other great organisations. Each continues to set the standard for excellence in marketing in Wales.
This year’s winners:
New Marketer of the Year – Sophia Al Janabi (DS Smith)
Life Sciences – The Media Angel – with Ty Hafan
Education & Training – Swansea University
Tourism, hotels, leisure, place & destination marketing, travel and transport – Arriva Trains Wales
Technology and Energy – DS Smith
Social Economy – The Wallich
Food drink, retail & FMCG – Marketing Clarity with IEAT
Arts, Heritage & Creative Industries – Equinox with CADW
Professional Services – JamJar PR with Pedalcover
Outstanding Contribution – Richard Houdmont
We’ve made the finals for a CIM Canmol Marketing Award
We are so thrilled by the news that we have been shortlisted for a 2015 CIM Canmol Marketing Award for our work with children’s hospice charity Tŷ Hafan! The Chartered Institute of Marketing hosts Canmol every year; dedicated to celebrating excellence in Welsh Marketing.
The business and marketing experts on the panel at Canmol felt our work with Tŷ Hafan; helping them raise crucial awareness of the amazing work they undertake for children with life limiting illnesses was worthy of an award nomination.
Tŷ Hafan offers comfort, care and support to life-limited children, young people and their families in the hospice, in the community and in their home so they can make the most of the time they have left together.
Tŷ Hafan established an Individual Giving team in 2012 to generate sustainable income from individuals. Legacies has become a key income stream for Tŷ Hafan, generating around 70% of annual Individual giving income over the past few years. We have been working with the charity since 2014 to help devise, buy and implement their media plans across all projects, including the Legacy promotion.
The campaign focused on how Tŷ Hafan helps life-limited children to leave their priceless mark on the world, and encouraged people to leave their own mark on the world too through leaving a gift in their Will. ‘Leave your Mark’ was the key message to promote this campaign.
We are extremely proud of the fantastic results the campaign achieved from using a simple mix of new digital media in the form of VOD with ITV Player and more traditional, methods such as print, magazines and direct mail. The campaign proved that by using the right mix of new and traditional media, amazing results can be delivered within an affordable cost.
We found this project extremely rewarding, as its outcome has made a real difference to life-limited children and their families in Wales. The campaign contributed to increasing the number of donations the charity needs to be able to continue with their outstanding work. The campaign delivered an overwhelming 300% more than the proposed target, generating on average £360,000 which will go a long way in helping Tŷ Hafan continue to do the brilliant work that they do.
We’d love to send our huge congratulations to all of the finalists, especially to clients Swansea University and Swansea Bay!
We’re also proud to be sponsoring the drinks reception at this year’s Canmol Awards on 6th November for a second year. We are very much looking forward to welcoming all guests with a glass of bubbly to start the evening off to what we are sure will be a great event!
Caring Children’s Charity Chooses Caring Media Agency
The team at The Media Angel are delighted to kick-start 2015 with a new client; leading children’s hospice charity Tŷ Hafan – one of the UK’s top paediatric palliative care charities, based in Sully, South Wales.
One of the key objectives at The Media Angel is to work with organisations that make a real difference to people’s lives. Starting this month, The Media Angel is helping to promote the opportunity to bequeath Tŷ Hafan a legacy gift in your Will.
Since 1999, Tŷ Hafan has helped over 600 Welsh families with children to make the most of their precious time left together, and one in five of the children Tŷ Hafan support is cared for thanks to the gifts that have been left in Wills.
Alison Debono, Managing Director of The Media Angel said:
“I feel really privileged to be working with such an amazing organisation such as Tŷ Hafan . The work they do is unbelievable and makes a huge difference to families who must be going through such a hard time.”
This marketing campaign consists of a mix of innovative video-on-demand advertising using ITV Player, targeting adults across Wales, and print adverts across highly circulated press and magazine titles to help share and raise awareness of the amazing work that Tŷ Hafan does.
“We wanted to make sure that the right media platforms were used for their precious budget, and we are confident the campaign will get to the right people across the right areas.”
Laura Barlow, Legacy and In Memory Fundraiser from Tŷ Hafan said:
“It’s been great working with Alison and her team at The Media Angel. Based on our brief they came up with innovative ideas and selected media options that we hadn’t before considered a possibility; particularly with some of the new digital on-demand services.
“The team has been so helpful; they are flexible, supportive and we are very much looking forward to a continued partnership and friendship in the future.”
To find out more about the legacy ‘Leave a Gift’ campaign, watch the video at: www.tyhafan.org/leaveagift.
Contact Tŷ Hafan for a free information pack via email: [email protected] or call: 029 2053 2265.
If you’d like help with any of your marketing campaigns then please get in contact with The Media Angel on 02921 320200, or email: [email protected]. We are here to help.
Cardiff Airport & CityJet first travel companies to try Sky AdSmart in Wales
Sky AdSmart allows advertisers to tailor TV advertising to their specific target audience and areas of the UK.
This clever technology allows companies to advertise on the likes of Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Movies, with very little wastage and at an affordable price.
Through us at The Media Angel, Cardiff Airport has been able to utilise this advertising concept to help promote their newest airline, CityJet to its target audience.
CityJet flights are direct to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Paris and Jersey from just little as £99 return.
Alison Debono, Director of The Media Angel said:
“We are very excited for the future of TV advertising and Sky AdSmart, and for local companies who want to advertise on TV. Having worked in TV advertising and having heard all the objections as to why clients can’t consider it. Sky AdSmart are knocking down those barriers and making it an easy and natural advertising platform to try.”
Sky AdSmart now means businesses can speak directly to their target audience in a cost effective and efficient way, even having different adverts to talk to different customers or to push different brands. Businesses in Wales can now keep up with larger national companies, where previously advertising on TV has been seen as costly and having huge wastage.
Jamie West, Director of Sky AdSmart and Commercial Development at Sky Media said:
“We are delighted to see The Media Angel using Sky AdSmart to such great effect for Cardiff Airport and CityJet. By advertising more selectively on TV than was previously possible, their campaign deserves to be a runway success.”
If you’d like to see how you can get your brand on Sky AdSmart and cherry-pick the people you speak to, then get in touch with The Media Angel and we can show you how we can help you make the smart choice when it comes to your marketing.