Rajar Quarter 2 2016
Last week (4th August 2016) saw the release of the latest radio listening figures for Quarter 2 of 2016.
We have put together a brief overview of the top line stats from the last quarter:
- Commercial radio now has more listeners than the BBC reaching 35.5 million listeners a week, this is 73% of all adults that are radio listeners(48.7 million)
- BBC Radio 1 lost a million listeners and radio 4 hits a new high, 11.5 million adults.
- The UK networked stations delivered high reach figures in the millions, Heart 8.9m, Capital Brand 8.5m, Smooth brand 5.6m, Kiss 5.5m, Absolute 4.3m.
- The first set of figures have been released since the launch of the UK’s second digital multiplex, Virgin Radio had the highest reach with 409,000 listeners, Mellow Magic 380,000 listeners, TalkSport2 285,000 listeners, Magic Chilled , 233,000 listeners, Talk Radio 224,000 listeners.
- The report also shows that 58.9% of the population tunes in digitally every week, with 45.3% listens via digital platforms.
- 90% of the population tune in to radio every week
- Heart South Wales continues to be the number one commercial radio station in Wales with 460,000 listeners tuning in every week!
- Heart’s sister station, Smooth Radio, achieves its best ever result in South Wales adding an impressive 21,000 new listeners this quarter, now at 72,000 listeners per week.
- Capital South Wales gained 19,000 additional listeners, reaching 189,000 listeners per week, however average listening hours are down to just 4.8.
- Unfortunately it wasn’t such a successful Quarter for North Wales radio stations. Capital North Wales gained listeners, however Heart North Wales and Smooth North Wales both lost listeners.
- Locally, Radio Pembrokeshire continues to achieve the highest weekly reach of 36 %, closely followed by The Wave with a reach of 31%.
- Listening hours remain strong for Smooth South Wales with the average person listening for 12.4 hours a week and The Wave at 10.3 hours a week
- Almost 6 in 10 adults aged 15+ are listening to radio via a digital platform in terms of weekly reach*. With 32 million people now tuning in to radio via a digitally enabled receiver (DAB, DTV, Online) each week.*
- 59% of the population tune in to digital radio every week
If you need help in choosing the right radio stations to use as part of your media mix, we are here to help. Just get in touch with experts from south Wales’s award winning Media Planning and Buying Agency at [email protected].